Monday 25 March 2013

Riso Amaro (1949)

One of my favorite movies, directed by Giuseppe De Santis. It's the story of the 'mondine' who travel North towards the rice plantations in the Po Valley.
The word 'riso' in Italian means both rice and laughter, and within the movie has both meanings: bitter rice and bitter laughter.
There isn't much food in the movie apart from large quantities of rice, this is one of my favorite scenes where Silvana Mangano and Vittorio Gassman dance the boogie-woogie.



                           

2 comments:

  1. I don't know this film, but I am a fan of Ms. Mangano. Add to that the fact that my dad was a fabulous Boogie Woogie pianist (it's all in the left hand, he used to say.)I'll have to watch it. Thanks for the tip, and for the language lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. integrale Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our.

    ReplyDelete